POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attack of the Flying Magnifying Lenses WIP take two ~180k : Re: Attack of the Flying Magnifying Lenses WIP take two Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attack of the Flying Magnifying Lenses WIP take two
Date: 19 Mar 2003 18:07:39
Message: <3e78f83b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi Patrick,

that looks really threatening! Especially the 'boss' in the center,
because he is facing not only the ant, but also *ME*. Perhaps it
(or he?) could be a little bit more separated from the rest of the
gang?

I wouldn't give it motion blur: if the threat moves, whatever happens,
it will be over in a couple of seconds. But if everything stays as
it is, the persistent threat will accumulate and enhance the high-
noon situation (or is it a hasta-la-vista-baby situation?)
An exception might be the extreme left and right side: more lenses
could arrive (with motion blur) and give the impression of a ring of lenses
closing progressively tighter around the poor ant, whitch is
looking back over its two left shoulders, not knowing where to go on
its tiny sand island ...  (I suggest you make it smaller -- not greater
than a lens, and completely surrounded by grass to make escaping
seemingly impossible. And grainier sand, please, it looks like a
solid stone.)

The sunny grass is really great! Sun, colors, contrast, distribution,
randomness: everything fits well. The smoke also -- but in my opinion it
should be less curvy, spread out more and get much fuzzier as it flies
away. Color and density are perfect. What about a tiny orange glowing
point at the focus?

A last word about the lenses:
Spherical lenses have the same radius of curvature everywhere; para-
bolic lenses have the smallest radius of curvature in the middle and
get flatter outside. Your glass is the opposite: flat in the middle,
rounded at the rim -- it is a squeezed sphere, isn't it? You better
replace it by something like an
intersection { sphere { y, 1.1 } sphere { -y, 1.1 } ... }

Despite my lengthy comments, I like it! Much better than the first
version -- let's see more!

   Sputnik

--

fr### [at] computermuseumfh-kielde